Wentworth Falls – A Local Guide
About Wentworth Falls
Named after the nearby Wentworth Falls (which was named for William Wentworth – one of the men which successfully first crossed the Mountains in 1813), Wentworth Falls is a quaint village in the heart of the Blue Mountains. Be sure not to miss the spectacular views over the Jamison Valley and of course the famous waterfall itself. Wentworth Falls has been a tourist destination for over 130 years and it’s not hard to see why!
Things to Do in Wentworth Falls
- Take the walking track from Wentworth Falls Reserve to the Princes Lookout for a stunning view of the Wentworth Falls themselves as well as the Jamison Valley. One of the most popular walks in the area, the National Pass, skirts the top edge of the Valley of the Waters, along a narrow clay stone ledge perched halfway down the cliff, and then ascends the ridge via a series of sandstone steps built by Peter Mulheran and a group known as “The Irish Brigade” in 1908. The Conservation Hut is an information centre and restaurant in Wentworth Falls leased from the National Parks and Wildlife Service, and serves as a starting point for several bush walks in the area.
- Visit Wentworth Falls lake. It’s the perfect spot for a picnic and also has a playground area for the kids.
- See the stars with a visit to the Kings Tableland Observatory (55 Hordern St). The Observatory is equipped with a flat screen planetarium and two modern telescopes, housed in a 4 1/2 metre dome. Opening times: Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening from 7 pm (8pm during daylight savings).
- Interested in Art? The Kedumba Art Gallery has acquired almost two hundred Australian drawings. Housed in wonderful purpose created space in a circa 1880 building on the grounds of Blue Mountains Grammar School, the gallery has been specifically designed to hold the Kedumba Collection. The Gallery exhibits part of the Kedumba Collection Monday to Friday from 11am to 4pm and at weekends by appointment.
- The golf enthusiast can play a round on the 18-hole course at the Wentworth Falls Country Club
- Explore Wentworth Falls village including antique shops, local cafes and bakery
April – Wentworth Falls Autumn Festival